Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Food Nights, a Great Idea!

Things can get a little hairy in a hurry when you start your cancer treatments.  At least, for me that was the case.  Before I started my chemo treatment, I read a lot, trying to figure out what to expect.  There is a lot to chemo treatments (but I’ll save that for another post).  Let’s just say, I wasn’t the picture of the woman on the pamphlet who still could go for walks everyday and go to work and make dinner, and…  However, I wasn’t in the bathroom all day and night either.   For about the first eight weeks I was in bed most of the time.  The next round of chemo was much kinder.  But, I was really tired all the time, and I had a hard time being much, if any, help to my family.  My mother, the amazing woman that she is, would take care of me, my house, my son, and would try to make dinner for us every night.  It didn’t take long for her to realize that she too needed some help.

So, food nights became our solution.  We belong to the best family outside of our own family – it’s our church.  These sweet ladies signed up to bring dinner for us once a week.  And, my mother-in-law solicited help from our family and friends for one night a week.  We now were blessed with two meals each week.  This was another great blessing to my family.  In two ways really, the food, of course, eased the burdens of my husband and mother, but in addition, it was so nice for me to get to see friendly faces. 

It may be hard to comprehend how something like food nights could make such a difference in one’s life, but it was the difference between overwhelmed and staying afloat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...